Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The New Logo (By KK)

When we decided to expand our offerings here at Reeseville Ridge Nursery, I knew it was time for a logo. I knew one of us could design it. I knew what I wanted it to look like. Making it happen took a while. I wanted an image that would bring babies and plants together.

Originally I thought of a baby in a cabbage. This came to mind because in France babes are often called petit choux (little cabbages), much like we call ours pumpkins. But we're not in France and we don't grow (or even really like to eat) cabbage. So I decided to wrap my logo baby up in some other kind of leaf. Below is what I came up with.
 
It wasn't quite right. It wasn't what I imagined. So I thought about it for a couple weeks. And I thought about it some more. First of all, the thistle I used the first time just wasn't right for us. I knew I wanted something native and pretty. The day I came up with a new idea I was working at my day job in a cubicle. It was snack time so I was enjoying a couple of fig newtons (the generic ones). Someone in the cube next to mine came back to our area with a fresh cup of coffee and suddenly the combination of scents triggered a memory for me.

Grandma and Grandpa's house always had coffee and fig newtons. Grandpa had these treats for morning snack every day. The memory triggered was not of a coffee break, but of the front garden. Out in front of the house Grandma had her clothes line and it was surrounded by a small flower garden. I remembered that while she hung the laundry I would play in the garden and pretend that I partied with the rabbits, toads and fairies. I remembered being very small and looking up at the flowers on a bleeding heart. Then I knew I wanted to use a bleeding heart in our logo.


On a Sunday morning, Alisha and I sat down to design the logo. I wanted to make the flowers look realistic so I paged through a couple of wildflower books. The first bleeding heart I came across was squirrel corn. We nicknamed Alisha squirrel because she was very squeaky when she was born. So I knew that the squirrel corn bleeding heart was the perfect flower to use.
This is what we came up with and I think it suits us well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.