I have been
sewing stuffed animals since the girls were babies.
 |
| Kay and Lin with a herd of bears some time around 1985 |
Mostly bears, sheep
and bunnies, but a few other critters as well.
My grandmother was
my biggest supporter.
She would want any
bear I made and then wanted customized bears for all the relatives.
 |
| Custom bears |
A friend of
mine had a mink stole that had belonged to her mother.
She did not wear fur, but wanted the fur made
into something she could show off and enjoy.
She asked me to make the stole into a teddy bear.
I made her two bears from the stole and
dressed them in outfits made from a dance costume from her daughter and a shirt
from her mother.
She displays them by
her front entrance, each on their own chair.
 |
| Fur bears |
Another
friend of hers saw the bears and wanted some made for her. She had fake fur coats from her mother and
her mother in law, and a grandmother. I
believe I made six bears. One in each set
was outfitted in a dress made from her wedding dress and the other had a bow
tie. Each of her sons will receive a set
of three bears as remembrances of their grandmothers and great grandmother.
My mother
had a fur collar from a friend of hers who passed away and wanted her 3
daughters to have something made from it.
There was enough fur to make ears for four bears. I had found two fur coats at St. Vincent's.
There was enough fur with the two jackets, by mixing and matching to
make the four bears. So Mom and the
three daughters could have a bear with something that had belonged to their
friend and mother.
Now Kay has
asked if I could make a stuffie from her nursing gown.
She sent it to me and I have made it into a
puppy.
I had a hard time deciding on dog
or rabbit, because Kay always liked both, but it was for Alisha, so puppy won.
 |
| Alisha and her weaning puppy |
Repurposing
textiles has been a family tradition for a very long time. My grandmother always had two braided rag
rugs in her living room. They were made
by her grandmother. So making stuffed
animals from something loved but outliving its current use seems like a good
idea. It's a nice way to keep something
sentimental without it being obtrusive or cluttery.
Kay had
read that wool made good soakers for babies.
She suggested old wool sweaters.
Off to Goodwill I went to find sweaters.
I found a few that felt good to me and proceeded to shrink them.
Alisha has a few soakers, but I haven't
gotten the fit quite right.
But the
cashmere sweaters work nicely for breast pads.
Also a suggestion from Kay.
It's
hard to find cashmere in neutral colors, but it's mostly about the texture and
the fiber content.
 |
| Wool breast pads |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.